I’m on a new whole food kick at the moment and trying my best to cut refined stuff out of my diet and apart from pasta (wholemeal is nasty) and the odd cupcake (wholemeal is wrong!) it’s going ok.
Oh and some amazing home-made pizza and cake at the F family lunch the other day (friends and food is all very right :) )
So I’m loving these scones as a ‘healthy’ treat at the moment and have made them a few times
they look a bit anemic I know, but they burn easily on the bottom so I er on the side of caution….
200 g wholemeal sr flour
2tsp baking powder
2tbsp golden castor sugar
pinch of salt
100ml (ish) milk
6 pieces crystallised ginger (chopped)
6 golden glace cherries (chopped)
- Set oven to 200
- Rub butter into dry ingredients
- Add chopped ginger and cherries
- Add milk a little at a time until a dough forms (may be more or less than 100 ml, whatever works!)
- Roll out dough to 2cm thickness.
- Cut out scones (I made 6 large ish scones and a little left over nubbin)
- Place on baking sheet covered in double thickness baking paper (to prevent bottoms burning)
- Bake for 15 – 20 mins
Serve warm or cold with butter and cherry or ginger preserve (and with cream whipped with a couple of fresh raspberries, mint leaves and crushed ginger for a special occasion and a zingy twist on a traditional cream tea)
Yuuuummms….. I love these, hope you do too :)